Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Essentials...

So first things first.......SHOPPING! Let me enlighten you. If you have not obtained a CVS card you must do so NOW! CVS offers "Extra Care Bucks" on several different items each week. These bucks print out at the end of your reciept after your purchase, for future use which ends up making items very inexpensive or even FREE. They also accept manufacturer's coupons which can be used in combination with the ECB's. It's a game of sorts. This weeks circular was great if you are just getting started. Especially if you have kids. Lots of back to school items are free!

As far as shopping for groceries is concerned...shopping at one store is a thing of the past. We always buy a double Sunday paper so that we have two sets of coupons. Yes, I said coupons. Get over it! I don't enjoy clipping and filing them either, but I sure am stoked when I look at the bottom of my reciept and see how much hard earned cash I actually saved!! I tend to do most of my shopping at Kroger and Albertsons because they double and triple coupons. I do get some items at Walmart. I've never been big on Tom Thumb until this week! Now I may have to switch! All of you die hard Pepsi and Mt. Dew drinkers listen up! This week at Tom Thumb buy two 12-packs of Pepsi Products & GET THREE 12-PACKS FREE!!! YES, I SAID THREE MORE FREE plus a huge bag of Tostidos chips! Now that's what I call "All that and a bag of chips!"

STOCKPILE, STOCKPILE, STOCKPILE!!! Especially on the essentials! Stock up on things like milk, butter, eggs, bread, flour, and sugar (and do it when they are on sale at their cheapest) because then you are never "out of everything". Did you know that you can freeze milk? And bread? Just give your milk a good shake after it thaws! We go to the Mrs. Bairds Outlet stores and stock up for weeks! We usually end up spending around seven dollars and it totally fills up our freezer! They have much more than bread there, too. They carry breakfast items, pizza crusts, tortillas, etc. and they always have freebies! There is a Mrs. Bairds located in DeSoto on Hampton and one in Arlington as well. I like to stock up on things we use alot of like household cleaning items, detergent, body wash and hair products, paper towels, and of course, TP!!! It is so nice to just walk into the pantry and grab some body wash when we run out! That helps me focus on just buying groceries when I'm at the store. Trust me, it will make a HUGE difference in your bill!

Walgreens has a Register Rewards program that is very similar to CVS but doesn't require a card. I find this helpful because it allows you to do the transactions more than once. For instance, this week at Walgreens:

VITAMIN Shampoo or Conditioner is on sale for $3.99
Register Rewards (good on next purchase) $4.oo

I chose to stock up on TP this week. Check it out...

Quilted Northern Big Rolls 9 pack on sale $4.oo
(minus Manufacturer's Coupon $1.oo off)
Eggs $0.99
Quaker Oats Pancake Mix (large boxes!!) 2/$1.00 Wow!
(minus Register Rewards from the Shampoo $4.00)
TOTAL OUT OF POCKET: $1.44

Not free...but, not shabby! Oh, and I almost forgot! Walgreens has all of their sandals (didn't even know they carried shoes?!) on clearance %75 off!!! Got the cutest brown sandals for $2.50. I'm thinking about buying up several pair for Macy for next summer...they really are cute. Walgreens. Yep.

Okay, gotta run. More to come. Happy shopping, happy saving:)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you get as crazy excited over saving money as much as I do! I don't clip coupons, but I do buy them in bulk off of eBay. (Save on shipping by buying multiples from same seller.) This past month, I bought over a year's supply of shampoo, dish detergent, laundry soap and more by buying them in quantities of 15-20 using $1 (or more) off coupons. I also shopped around and waited until someone had them on sale. Just this go round, I saved over $100 between the coupons and sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Julie, I am going to become a big fan of yours! I know saving money is a science, and I am NOT very good at it. One thing I have found to be difficult is that our paper here does not offer much in the way of coupons. Isn't that strange? When we lived in Des Moines, we had piles and piles of coupon fliers. Here, I am lucky if we get one good one per Sunday paper. I will check into the CVS thing.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete