Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Italian Sausage Soup

Okay...I got this GREAT recipe while reading some stranger's blog! I am going to post her recipe, but then I'll tell you what I'll do differently next time...


Sautee in a large soup pot:
1 or 2 cloves of chopped garlic
A little olive oil

Add:
2 cups cooked, diced Italian sausage
1 pint of cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
1 large bag of frozen spinach*
A sprinkling of hot red pepper flakes
Sautee until heated through.

Add:
2 quarts chicken stock (I use homemade)*
Bring to a rolling boil.
Add:
1 lb of pasta (I use rotini)*
Boil ten minutes, or until pasta is tender.

Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.

***Okay, so I followed her recipe, except I used mini bowties instead of rotini (because they were almost free at kroger today:) and I did NOT use homemade chicken stock because I didn't have time. Next time I will probably use 1/3 of the spinach and double the sausage that I used tonight. I ended up removing alot of the spinach because it was just too much. I only bought one package of italian sausage, but I think I'll try 2 pkgs next time. I also added some garlic salt. Oh, and I am going to use alot more chicken stock. I bought 2 of the large pour boxes and even added additional water and it really cooked down, especially after I added the bowties. We will definitely be having this again VERY soon!!! It had a GREAT flavor! Here's a pic, but it really doesn't do it justice. I'm terrible at presentation!


1 comment:

  1. Make sure you buy the low sodium broth so you can control the salt. Also, try adding the fresh garlic to the sausage. You could save by buying the meat ground (you could mix in turkey or chicken ground) and making little meatballs for a "cute" effect and fry it up before putting it in the soup. The kids love making the meatballs. Home made chicken stock is expensive and takes forever to make. I have tried. I use the progresso. I will give this a go around and see if anything else could be added. You could also sprinkle some Parm on top drizzled with some olive oil.

    ReplyDelete